Williamson Polishing & Plating was a plating shop in the Martindale-Brightwood neighborhood of Indianapolis, Indiana. The business incorporated in 1953, and operated until 2016 when the company went out of business. The facility conducted "job shop" polishing and electroplating services by plating brass, cadmium, copper, chrome, silver, tin, zinc, bronze, and nickel finishes on various substrates for its customers. The Site contains a 14,421 square foot building with plating process equipment.
On October 3, 2016, the Marion County Public Health Department (MCPHD) received a complaint regarding abandoned chemicals at the Site. MCPHD conducted an exterior inspection on October 5, 2016 and found violations, including improper storage of a hazardous material. On October 13, 2016, MCPHD conducted an inspection of the facility’s interior and found abandoned waste in drums, plating vats, tanks, and small containers. MCPHD temporarily secured the building. Following the inspection, MCPHD filed a report with the National Response Center (NRC), and requested assistance from EPA.
On October 31 and November 1, 2016, EPA took emergency actions to secure the facility. On November 29, 2016, EPA signed an action memorandum to conduct a time-critical removal action. EPA began the time-critical removal action on December 15, 2016.