United Steel and Wire appears to have operated in the Battle Creek area beginning in the early 1900’s, and operated at the Site through approximately 2007. United Steel and Wire manufactured and sold plastic and metal shopping carts, displays, bins, and shelving for grocery and retail stores across the United States. Other items, including seat belts, numbered signs, vertical corner bumpers, wheels, foot stools, beds, chests, tables, lockers, and ironing boards were also manufactured.
The Site went through tax foreclosure in spring of 2018, and is currently owned by Calhoun County. After the property foreclosed, the representatives of the County did a walkthrough and observed numerous containers of waste and other suspected hazardous materials remained on Site and requested EPA’s assistance on May 14, 2018.
EPA Public Information Officer:
U.S. EPA Region 5