The site is the former operating address of Great Lakes Paving and Asphalt. Great Lakes Paving operated from the 1950 until 1970s. By the 1980s, the site was out of asphalt production and above ground storage tanks were used for storage of ‘synthetic fuels’.
In 1989, there was an approximately 80,000 gallon spill of synthetic fuel to the plant yard, nearby farm field and Eagle Creek. The Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Region 5 conducted emergency response and removal actions. Records are available at IDEM's Virtual File Cabinet (VFC) under Agency Interest Identification number 1065 (AIID=1065).
Following environmental cleanup, the asphalt plant was removed and two residences were built.
In 2019, IDEM referred the site to EPA for additional removal site evaluation. EPA Region 5 has assembled a team to conduct site assessment in 2020.