United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Removal Action.
The focus of the proposed removal action would be on two acres comprising the plant ruins, which have been found to contain arsenic, lead, and asbestos-containing building materials (ACBM). Historically, the site included a stamp mill, flotation process, conveyor system, and smokestack. The site ceased operations around 1933 and was partially demolished. Today the site is owned by the Keweenaw County Road Commission. Access to the site is unrestricted, and the property is frequented by trespassers, including students, tourists, hikers, and people using all-terrain vehicles.