Beginning in the 1990’s, EPA investigation of the Site identified high concentrations of chromium and lead in waste piles, in soils at or near the surface, and in sediments next to the Salmon Falls River. Although EPA and NHDES initially agreed that NHDES would oversee cleanup of the Site, none was undertaken in the years following the initial investigation. After the site came to the attention of EPA’s pre-remedial program in 2004, the agencies decided that EPA should re-assume the role of lead agency.
After confirming site conditions had not changed, in July 2005, EPA issued a Notice of Potential Responsibility and Invitation to Perform a Removal Action Letter to the Town of Milton. From approximately 1947 to the early 1960’s, the Town leased the Site and operated a town dump there. From approximately 1954 to the early 1960’s, this dump took in waste from a tannery business, including hides and barrels containing chromium, a hazardous substance.
In September 2006, an Action Memorandum was approved by regional management. The approved removal action includes excavating and/or capping contaminated waste, soil and sediment.
In August 2007, an Administrative Order on Consent was signed by EPA and the Town of Milton, requiring that a removal action be completed by August, 2008.
As the Town does not have funds appropriated for this cleanup, residents voted to approve funding in March, 2008. The cleanup was completed on schedule. A completion of work report was submitted and approved in September. The estimated cost to the Town of Milton to complete this project was $301,887.61.