The Site housed a K-12 community school from 1915-1999. Since the school closed, ownership transferred numerous times. Building demolition and redevelopment has been hindered by the extensive amount of asbestos in the building. Improper salvaging operations and trespassing have damaged the asbestos creating a respiratory hazard. Other environmental concerns in the building include abandoned containers, waste oil, lead, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), and mercury. The building has fallen into disrepair. The roof is partially collapsed, further limiting work that can be safely conducted in the building. The City of Kewaunee posted warning signs notifying site visitors of the dangers posed by the contamination.
For additional information, visit the
On July 2, 2015, WDNR requested EPA assistance with the Site. EPA conducted a site assessment of the building on August 20, 2015 which confirmed the Site meets removal criteria. GNL/104(e) letters were sent to known previous owners on December 8, 2015. The Action Memo for a fund lead time critical removal action was signed on June 14, 2016. The City of Kewaunee received a Community Development Block Grant for demolition on September 15, 2016. The EPA removal action began on October 11, 2016. Work was suspended during months with freezing temperatures (November - May) due to safety concerns. Removal activities resumed on June 14, 2017 and were completed on July 21, 2017.