The Site is located south of Provo, Utah at the intersection of Mountain Springs Parkway and East 1800 South Street in unincorporated Utah County. The Site is an abandonned coal tar distillery which operated from 1924 to 2002. The structures on the Site have been removed but the concrete foundations remain.
Land use in the area is largely industrial. The Ironton Canal constitutes the northern Site boundary and discharges to Spring Creek and Utah Lake‘s Provo Bay approximately 4 miles west of the Site. There is a seasonal wetland to the south and groundwater tends to flow westward beneath a nearby industrial facility. The owner of the property filed for bankruptcy in 2016.
Proposed Removal Objectives:
1. Excavate contaminated source material from along the Ironton Canal and the nearby historic drainage.
2. Drain, collect and dispose of contaminated liquids from this excavated source material.
3. Land farm the solid source material in the upland area to the east of the Site.
4. Restore the excavated area and improve Site drainage to prevent contaminated material from migrating to the Ironton Canal and Spring Creek.
5. Coordinate with UDEQ to establish an environmental covenant on the property to guide future remediation activities.