The Exide Laureldale Facility is a 42 acre former battery manufacturing/recycling facility, most recently owned and operated by Exide Technologies. The facility began operations in the 1930s as the Bowers Battery Company. By 1958, General Battery assumed ownership, and took over and continued operations until Exide acquired the facility in 1980 and operated the battery recycling/manufacturing operation until 2013. From 2013 to 2020, Exide used the facility exclusively for non-hazardous plastics recycling. During the periods of time that the facility operated as a battery recycling/manufacturing plant, lead and acid was removed from old batteries, and either recycled, stored, or disposed. Lead was processed through furnaces as part of the smelting operation, and acids were stored in an acid storage area. Lead dust and emissions from smelting operations was the primary source of contamination, at and around the facility. This facility and the portions of the surrounding area have been addressed through a RCRA Corrective action since 1988. However several areas of concern remain, both on the facility property, as well as the surrounding areas.