The Picayune Wood Treating Site began operation as a creosote wood preserving plant in 1946. The plant used pentachlorophenol for wood preserving from 1973 to 1982, then resumed using creosote. Prior to being a wood preserving plant it existed as a lumber company. There are several trench impoundments located on site that were used for process water treatment and sludge disposal. The impoundments were closed under RCRA in the 1980s. The plant ceased operation in 1999.
EPA conducted an Emergency Response in late 1999 and continued removal of containerized waste through early 2001. A Remedial Investigation identified continuing releases off site and into a residential neighborhood, which prompted EPA to resume removal action.