The LCP Chemicals Superfund site is located in Brunswick, Georgia. The site consists of approximately 800 acres, the majority of which is a tidal marsh. The remaining portion of the Site is occupied with process buildings, administration offices, railroad spurs, treatment, storage and disposal units, and tank storage facilities. An oil refinery, a paint manufacturing company, a power plant, and a chlor-alkali plant have all operated at this site over the last 70 years. Since 1919, the Site has been occupied by at least five major companies: Atlantic Refining Company (ARCO); Georgia Power Company; Dixie Paints and Varnish Company (currently, the O'Brien Company); Allied Chemical Inc. (currently, Allied Signal); and, the Hanlin Group subsidiary, LCP Chemicals-Georgia, Inc.
For additional information, visit the
During various manufacturing activities, the Site became contaminated with mercury, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), and semi-volatile contamination in site soils, groundwater, and in the tidal marsh.