The Columbia Phosphate Company was a superphosphate manufacturing facility. The Company was involved with the manufacturing of superphosphate fertilizers. Sanborn maps from 1893 and 1898 indicated two separate facilities, Globe Phosphate and Columbia Phosphate, separated by Gadsden Street. Acid chambers are visible at both facilities in 1893 and 1898. The 1904 Sanborn maps indicate ownership of both facilities to be Virginia Carolina Chemical (VCC). The 1919 Sanborn maps indicate Columbia Mill buildings are vacant and probably will be removed.
For additional information, visit the
South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control (DHEC) screened the Site on April 10, 2007. DHEC used in-situ sampling techniques utilizing the XRF technology. Results of their sampling revealed elevated levels of lead and arsenic in several of their samples. The Site was then referred to EPA Region 4 Site Assessment Section and then to ERRB for analysis for a possible time-critical removal action.